Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Beginning the Journey

I am on a journey, seeking God in the everyday experience of my life, in relationships with diverse people, in prayer that is spoken and silent, in music brought to life through breath and spirit, and in Christian community gathered together in worship.

This will be a place to explore how my faith continues to grow, even though there are still times of fear and despair. While God seems to be more easily glimpsed in the rear view mirror of recent experience, there are brief moments of a sense of presence. I believe that times of skepticism and doubt are to be respected, in that they allow for clarifying beliefs and cleaning out clutter.

These ramblings will reflect the world I encounter; from workplace to church communities, from next door neighbors to friends scattered around the globe, from books and articles to thoughts emerging from prayer.

As a spiritual director, I listen to others explore their own spiritual journeys. In those times, I listen to hear where and how God is present in the other person’s life. I listen for the questions about God that are being asked in the events and experiences of another. While those stories, as well as the identity of individuals, are kept confidential, they often lead me down unexpected roads and open doors that have been closed. I hope to look behind some of those doors here.

As a person of prayer, I explore the methods of prayer that engage and support me. Since it is often resistance that leads to a growth, I hope to dance with that resistance, to see how a playful interaction can energize my life and my faith.

As a musician, the chatter of words in my head becomes silent as my mind coordinates my breath, my eyes, and my muscles to bring into life something fresh and transitory. Music feeds the spirit that is within and sometimes expresses that spirit.

Worship strengthens me through the words and action of liturgy in the presence of a gathered church community. The community draws me out of my safety while pointing me toward new possibilities. The shy intravert is swept up in the passing of the peace, and fed by gathering with others around the Eucharistic table. I am made whole again.

I invite you to join me on this journey.

No comments: